Take a break today.
Here are 20 little things for your day.
1. Indulge in your favorite snack. Mmm, cookies.
2. Smile at a stranger. In a genuine, not sympathetic way.
3. Watch the sun glisten off the snow. Or admire a sunset/sunrise.
4. Allow yourself to sleep in. Even just a half hour past your normal alarm.
5. CALL a friend, and just talk. I am not a phone talker, but we need this interaction over just texting.
6. Write a handwritten letter.
7. Help a stranger. Hold the door open, carry their bags, give them encouragement.
8. Buy a book you have been dying to read. Try Love & Misadventure.
9. Try a new recipe. I recommend these.
10. Reach out to someone you lost touch with. A family member, childhood friend, old teacher…
11. Cross something off your “to-do” list. Which may require actually organizing all those thoughts and tasks into a list.
12. Put your favorite song on repeat. Try “Where Feet May Fail” by Oceans.
13. Write a poem. Even if doesn’t rhyme. Just get those thoughts out.
14. Make your bed. Tighten the sheets, fluff your pillows, pretty it up. Guys, do your best.
15. Sit outside and marvel at God’s creation. Unless there is a -20 windchill. Then just look outside
16. Bake a sweet treat for someone else. If you are lucky, they might just share.
17. Make a surprise visit to your family. Even if they live just down the block.
18. Look through your old pictures. Maybe post a few #TBT.
19. Star gaze. Lay in the grass, fill a truck bed with blankets and pillows, or sit on a rooftop. Or, sit in front of a fire (real or fake) and let your mind wander.
20. Make a list off all you are grateful for. From the shoes on your feet, to the sun in the sky. People you know, and people you have yet to meet. Gratitude for what you have and do not have can change your entire perspective for today and every day to come.
We all need these things.
We need simple things in our day-to-day lives that bring our hearts joy.
Simple acts and gestures that bring our mind to an ease.
We need more of these.
Lives get chaotic. Lives get messy.
Do not let that craziness get in the way of the little things.
These are good things.
Good things that we all need.
Enjoy these more,